Thursday, February 22, 2007

Where did all the colour go?

I woke up this morning to a white paw in my face (alright, that's not so unusual), and once I got reaquainted with my glasses and got Dalla off my chest I looked out the window to this.

The entire outside world had become white all of a sudden. Whammo. Very pretty, even if the drive in was sloshy and slippy and miserable. Definately a boot day, not a croc day. (Note to all: Crocs + slush = Very Cold Feet. Take my word on it, even the most fantastic hand knitted wool socks will not help keep your feet warm in near freezing slush. I've tested this theory empirically.)

Fortunately waiting on the kitchen floor for me was an exhausted dye pot. (Alright, so I felt pretty exhausted too, but that had less to do with the lack of colour and more to do with needing an adjustment on the vader mask. Which I suppose is a whole different lack of colour in the all black look.) A couple nights back I decided I needed more orange in my world. Everyone needs more orange, it's a law or something. So I balled up a chunk of reclaimed wool. (New ballwinder, still makes me squee. It's downright fun.) Plunk in dye crock pot. Add a glug of vinegar and 2 packets of orange kool aid. And half a packet of colourless. It was handy, it was more citric acid. Fake watermellon kiwi smell + fake orange smell + vinegar is not something I think Kraft was aiming for as a marketing technique. Just saying. I let it cool in the pot and *cough* left it another day to um.. cool. Fully exhaust. Something. This morning I came downstairs to this little bloom of colour.

I'll be interested to see how far into the cake of yarn the dye went. I may be redyeing the interior bit to have some colour to it. It'll be something for post dental hell tonight. (Only one of the weeny layers of hell, just a check up and annual lecture about flossing. I still hate hate hate HATE going. Childhood trauma. *shudder*)

4 comments:

Liadra said...

So, I take it that the reclaimed yarn is acrylic?

Jazmin said...

Nope, the reclaimed yarn is 100% wool. Food dye only works on animal fibres. I've yet to find anything that'll dye acrylic.

C said...

Kinda' makes me hungry for salad. Is that weird? :)

Jazmin said...

*laugh* Snow and orange wool make you think of salad? Alright, that is odd. :)