Monday, February 26, 2007

So that's where the colour went!

I'm giving knitting another try.. shhhh, don't tell the elbow that it's supposed to be upset by this. I am, however, also trying to mix it up and do other things. Including digging out the dyepot and cotton. Prompted, I must admit, by a momentary panic as I remembered I'm teaching at the Needlecraft Guild a week today. Clearly this requires not class prep, but a dye weekend. Clearly.

I'm teaching a lace doily class. Doily = cotton. Therefore dyeing cotton is class prep. Right? Right!? How about taking seriously ugly cotton

and some el cheapo cold water dye from the fabric store in blue and my trusty dye crock pot (turned off, we're talking cold water dye here). Voila.

I am more pleased with this than I really have any right to be. I mean I took fugly cotton and dunked, but hot damn it turned out well! I also *cough* over estimated how much dye one ball of cotton would need. The dyepot didn't even vaguely change shade. I couldn't leave it like that! Poor lonely dye. Sooooo...

became...

The big ball of white stuff is acrylic (I'm pretty sure) and I only balled off a wee sample that stained a little. The bizarre varigated on the bottom right came from a ball of ecru cotton still balled up tightly and thrown in for good measure. I decided not to skein off the ball of pink cotton, my arms were getting sore by then.

Sore arms, and still a deep blue dye bath. I was out of cotton things I wanted blue. I mean I like blue and all, but there is only so much blue cotton a girl needs. Especially a girl who is not currently knitting (much). So in a moment of 'enh, what the hell', I dumped a healthy glug glug glug of vinegar in it, had a moment of 'I am so smrt'(1) with the ph measurement and tossed fleece in. Heated it up (wool likes being warm. And acidic.), let it cool and...

Well I'll be damnned. Apparently I did get it acidic. Now I just need to develop a fondness for all things blue.

(1) pH testing by it by strip or by drops of indicator into a water sample relies on colour to determine the pH. My dyepot already had the dye in it. It was a lovely deep blue. This makes it hard to determine the lovely pale shade of colour that tells you the pH. I am so smrt!

2 comments:

N. Maria said...

You are so smart!! I can't believe I don't even come close to thinking about dying something ugly and making it beautiful, like you did! You are a genius!

Knitcrazy said...

Wow.. I LOVE the color changes that you did... Looks teriffic.. Now what will you make ???

Penny

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/