Friday, June 24, 2011

More knitting than writing

I think I've written this post in my head about a half dozen times, but every time I consider opening up blogger, I tend to pick up my knitting instead.

There is something to be said for the instant gratification of big thread, big needles and fairly quick moving projects. Usually I'm working in size 30 cotton and 2 mm needles and a week's worth of work requires a magnifying glass to locate. Currently my projects are size 5 cotton and dk cotton. It's such a difference!

So the parasol is currently at this state:

Parasol baggie

The middle section is done (63 stitches per repeat, 8 repeats around, 504 stitches per round), the border has been test knit and charted and now it waits on the second ball of Clea. Which I'm picking up tomorrow on the way to a wedding, because knitters are awesome. Even during a postal strike, a ball of yarn was found local enough for me to go pick up. The fact that it's half an hour away from the out of town wedding we're going to is just gravy.

So in that pause, I had to start my Camp Loopy shawl. Now, this might be cheating. The requirement was a two colour shawl or scarf, and I took 80's peach yarn (remember 80's peach? Yes, I had flashbacks too), and dyed 3 of the 5 balls a denimy blue/purple/pinky splottered varigated sort of haphazard colour, and the last 2 balls a solid (ish) blue/purple that's in the varigated.

To me? This is two colours. I think. Close enough, I'm working from stash anyhow, so I dont qualify for any prizes or anything, but I can knit along!

DK cotton + 5.5 mm needles = fast moving moose lace.

Thistle shawl

I've never had to increase lace along the edge of a shawl before, and while there may have been some /words/ and a lot of ripping when I realized I'd managed to extend the lace, but also managed to quit increasing.. 5 rows back. Now that I'm getting the hang of it, I'm kinda chuffed to bits with myself.

I have some vague thoughts of beads on the edge, but that might take it away from denimy casual shawl to trashy. But sometimes, a girl wants a little bit of trashy. *grin*

No comments: